Monday, October 6, 2014

General Conference October 2014!


October 6, 2014

Dear Family:

Monday morning everybody went to the park and played football. Then the church and played basketball. We need to find something more fun and original to do on P-day. We didn't get to do a whole lot more than that.  

Tuesday we taught seminary for a member in our ward. He actually reminds me of Bro. T a little bit, but not as animated. It was early I think 6:20. I am so glad I never had to do that!!! The closest I got was mission prep and I think it was like an hour later haha. Just another reason to live in Utah! We also had interviews with President Mullen that day. Because of the situation we were there all the way from lunch until dinner. At lunch time we got to watch Meet the Mormons movie. It was pretty good! But maybe you shouldn't be asking me. I am not the best movie judge right now. The only movies I have seen are the cheesy church ones they give us! So compared to that it was super good! We interviewed last because we are in a trio and he didn't want to mess up his schedule. While I was waiting to get interviewed I had an idea to see if we could bring Ruben to get interviewed to be baptized. I asked President between his interviews and he said it was a good idea. He was running behind when he interviewed me. It is very different from getting interviewed by President Smart. After that we sent in Ruben. The interview would have been much better but he was still stuck on how his baptismal date got changed. He has some sort of mental handicap. I'm not sure what it is, but he gets stuck on stuff like that. He responded to President Mullen really well. We met with Ruben after and found out why. Because I called him President, Ruben thought we was the prophet! The President pulled me in and because of situations he wants Ruben to go to L.A. to see his family before he gets baptized so he should happen on the 18th now.  

Wednesday Ruben got even more mad because our Ward Mission Leader went over and changed the baptismal date to get Ruben to come home from L.A. earlier. He called us before and made sure it was ok, I thought it was fine. Ruben thought it was fine until he left and then he freaked out on us. We resolved it though and I promised him it would never change from the 18th as long as he didn't smoke anymore. So we are back on good terms. He is a super funny guy. Way fun to teach. I don't know if I mentioned this last week but we had to put some pressure on the Bishop last Sunday to get him to allow us to baptize Ruben. I was not going to let that get in the way though. He needed to meet with us and get real information instead of just assuming and holding us back. After we gave him the correct information he wanted to pray about it for a week before making a decision. Luckily we talked him into the next day. I just thought the whole thing was stupid because his concern was resolved in two seconds by our Mission Presidency but he still wanted to pray about it for a week.  

Thursday Elder Burris came back after only being home like 2 weeks. He has a new Challenger. It was a pretty fun ride!! At our lesson with Ruben we roll played with him to say no when he is in L.A. and his family offers him drugs. He did a good job! If he keeps that up he will stay strong!  

Friday we had ZDM. And I am out of time so I am going to skip most of Friday. 

Saturday was conference so it was awesome as always! It was over 100! It is so hot here!! I am glad I got a car, cuz I don't know if I would have lasted through the heat. I hope my next area we have a car. It should cool down by then, but that is what they said about October too!! Ruben came to the afternoon session because we told him we would give him treats. I don't remember what talk it was but I tried giving Ruben a hard time and I guessed wrong. Somebody was speaking about the world and its views and how we cannot allow ourselves to be a part of things that are changing because God never changes. He starting talking about how " They may be legalizing" when he said that I hit Ruben to make sure he was paying attention because I thought he was going to say legalizing marijuana but then he said "same sex marriage" it was a pretty funny mess up. We had muddy buddies, Chex mix, Oreo's, lots of good stuff!! Priesthood was great. That is my favorite. I like how in a bunch of the talks you can learn how to be a successful person. If people would follow the council the church gives us their lives would be way better. That night a sister needed a blessing. We found out Elder Pennell had never given a blessing before so we had him do it even though he was super nervous. I had been thinking about how the Lord trusts us especially more when we hold the priesthood. Giving us more responsibility then we know how to handle really calls us to grow. During the blessing I had a really strong witness as Elder Pennell gave the blessing. Even though he didn't know how to give a blessing the Priesthood still works. The spirit still testifies. He didn't need to say the right thing. I believe this is how we baptize people into the church. I think back at the beginning of my mission and how much I didn't know. I look forward and realize how much I have to learn in the eternities. I think because of this experience it will make it easier for me to sit back and let Elder  Larson and Pennell take over while I am still here. I try every lesson to not talk too much, but I always do. I am sitting back and letting them run the lessons, but I think I need to sit back more and just listen and see what I learn and see what they learn and what the investigators learn.  Just because somebody might have more experience is giving a blessing, or teaching the restoration the words that will be said have little to no converting power. You could explain the gospel perfectly and it wouldn't matter. We have to rely on the spirit completely or we are wasting our time. I think sometimes when we already know the words to say we rely on our own knowledge too much and the spirit too little and our investigators suffer. From this I hope to learn how to rely on the spirit more, plus if I do it now I don't have to learn it from a trial hahaha.  

Sunday some members between sessions fed all the Elders breakfast! We had our last lesson with Ruben before he went to L.A. We role played with him for the 3rd time. He was much less responsive this time. He was super excited to go and see his family, so I can understand. He wasn't focused at all, but it was still good that we got to see him. We wanted a present even though his birthday isn't until the 8th. We didn't get him anything so he has to wait until he gets back!! Well I hope you learned a lot at conference! We are all going to be at the Cabin next time!!! Love ya!

Elder Wood
 

P.S. Sorry I haven't been taking any pictures!! I will repent!