Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Visit to the Redlands Temple


February 12, 2014
Dear Family:
Hey sorry it is Wednesday!! I tried to get to E-mail you on Monday and Tuesday, but it didn't work out. Monday all the missionaries thought the library was closed, so we didn't go. We found out we were wrong... (I blame Elder Moyer, he told everyone that it was Presidents Day) ha. Tuesday we were going to E-mail but we went to the temple and didn't get back in time to do it in the middle of the day. I didn't want to do it at night time because that is when people are actually home.
So last P-day we just did basketball and then went and hung out with other Elders.
Tuesday we had a bomb day set up, but everybody fell through!! We had district meeting that morning. I think I told you about Trudy. Well we aren't teaching her anymore. Walter found out she wasn't exactly faithful, so she is gone. We don't know where she is. Walters RV is still in the same spot, but his van is gone. We haven't been able to get a hold of him. Hopefully everything is OK!!
Wednesday was more of the same, lots of stuff just kept falling through. Pretty boring day. That night when everyone dropped through we went by Jacob Hick’s (He was someone we were teaching before but we dropped because he wouldn't come to church) They said they wanted to start coming again so we could teach Jacob and get him baptized. I said OK, see ya Sunday! They said they wouldn't make it this Sunday (because of another softball tournament) but would be there the one after that. They were right they didn't show up this Sunday! I am praying they come this week cuz they all need to come back to church. They said that softball will be over for good this time, but we have heard that story before. It would help them out in their situation so much if they would just get active again! We are going to visit them this Saturday and make sure they are still planning on it.

Thursday we had a lesson with Logan. We are almost done teaching him. Soon we are going to have the ward missionaries keep teaching him so he remembers the things he has learned. They are going to be like a home teacher but more often I guess. Right now his parents still won’t let him get baptized. He is smart. He knows it is true and is ready to be baptized; he just can't until his parents let him. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait until he is 18, but right now that is what it is looking like he will have to do. His Mom really likes us. It is almost all his dad. I’m  not sure she isn't partially just letting him take the blunt of the blow though.
 
Friday we finally got in with a part member family I have been trying to find for like 4 months. The Hambricks. They moved out of their house but to somewhere close in the area and we finally found them. Her sister who is actually also a member lives next door but she wouldn't let us inside, or teach her kids or husband ha. We got in with Sister Hambrick, she has had some experiences lately that have put her on a sort of a spiritual search. Her husband isn't at all interested, but we asked if we could teach her kids. She was open to that but wants to ask her husband and then meet with us once before and ask us some questions. We are really trying to get the whole family to sit in on the lessons, but right now the husband is not willing, so far the mom will. We haven't met with her yet again, we are going to go tomorrow morning to see how things are going and try and get things set up. We also had a really good lesson with Carlos.  He knows he needs to be baptized, but isn't willing to do it. I told him what the scriptures say about that and he was still ok with it. I have been trying to drop him so we can find someone who is willing to progress, but Elder Child won't let me yet. I think I have finally gotten Elder Child to give in and our lesson with him tonight should be our last.
 Saturday we ran down a bunch of members I have been trying to follow up with for a while now. It was a pretty good day. We tried to meet with the Kyler Wong all week, but no luck. We finally caught his mom on Saturday but said they don't let their kids get rides from anybody so if he was going to come to church we would have to talk his dad into taking him. I would but the only problem is he won’t answer his phone! We visited a ton of people.
Sunday we had a super good sacrament meeting. The talks were super good. We tried to get Mike to come, but he had to go help his mom out with some medicine or something like that out in Orange County. He really isn't doing anything either, I think we are going to drop him too. Elder Child left for Hemet for another baptism. Dad asked if I ran into anybody last time. I didn't go last time he went to Hemet. I wish I could! But I stay in the area and work while he is gone. I took one of the Priests with me to run around for the day. We had some good lessons. We went back by Zack Patterson's house. We followed up to see how things were going so far. I made sure that he still knew I was expecting him to be baptized. He knows he needs to do it. I wish he would just let us teach him the lessons!
Monday we went bowling with Jordan Guthrie and his mom. His mom is like a Pro bowler and got us in for free. She helped us with our bowling a little bit. I got to use his reactive ball and it was awesome! We are doing it again next week.
Tuesday was the Temple trip. It was amazing!! It was my favorite trip to the Temple, if you don't count my first time. We normally have our session earlier in the morning so we can still have a good day of work. This time our session started at noon. The Elders and Sisters went separately, so we had more than one zone of Elders there. I got to see some people I haven't seen in a while. After we got that all done we went to Cafe Rio! It is the only time we can go because Redlands is the only place that has one. It just happened to be Taco Tuesday too! So I got my regular pork burrito and a taco, just for tradition’s sake. Don't worry I didn't eat all that, I took part of the burrito home for leftovers.
Because we went to the temple Tuesday today we had District meeting and then that brings us to now! This week we are trying hard to get referrals from members so it should be a good week. Love ya tons!! Elder Wood 
 
Hey there is an Elder Bushman here from Midland, Texas. Is that were Suzan lives or is that were Renee lives? He is a pretty cool kid.