Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Zone Service Project

November 12, 2013 

Dear Family: 

Today at 5:28 pm.

Hi! Another great week in Corona! We had some really neat things happen this week! I will have to keep this short, I don't have a ton of time.
Last P-day I was still sick. I couldn't run or do much for very long. I just passed the football with some other elders and played the guitar. Later we went with Elders Feist and Justice to the members house again to hang out in their awesome back yard. Their son who is like a deacon invited a bunch of others to come and play stuff against us. It was fun.
Tuesday We had district meeting that morning. Sam came to my district meeting. It was good to get to see him again. I dunno if I told you, but he is back from his mission. He had some health issues. After that Sam came with everybody to go eat at Chick-Fil-A so that was fun. We had a lesson with Geo after that. He really wasn't all the way there. If it wouldn't have been for that it would have been a great lesson. We found out he is a brew-master, so pretty much he makes his own beer.
Wednesday we went to Redlands again to go to the doctor. After that Elder Hammond and I drove out to Lake Mathews for a lesson with a less active out there. It is the sisters area out there, but he is a single guy so they said we should do it. It was fun to drive out there, it is very open. That night we went on splits with the Elder's Quorum. They had a whole bunch of names to visit so they asked us to help. I went with Brother Smalley. He is a returning member who's wife just got baptized. They are headed to the temple soon. We went and visited a few people.
Thursday we had a zone service project. The Armstrong family in my ward feeds all the missionaries in this zone breakfast every P-day. They are moving though, so we all just showed up and helped them out. I don't think I have ever seen that many people at a move. We just lined up and then passed boxes down a line of people all the way out to the moving van. That night we were supposed to go with the Elders Quorum again. After dinner on the way up we needed gas bad. Our gas card wouldn't work though! I had to call the fleet coordinator and work out to use my missionary fund and then have them pay it back to me. So our plans got changed. We would have been like 40 minutes late so they just went without us.
Friday morning we had President Interviews. It is always good to get to have an interview with him. We talked about a lot of different things. After that the day was pretty slow. We did a lot of tracting ha. That night we didn't have a dinner so I used a gift card from the Maddens to go to Chili's. I know I haven't been out that long, but being a missionary is making me hear things. You know how they sing to people there when it is their b-day? Well when they did that I swore they said "happy happy birthday we know the church is true!" I hit my comp and was like "Did you hear that?!?" He thought I was crazy ha. That night our plans fell through as well. I had gotten a call from the ZLs in another zone with a referral to a part member family that just moved here from their ward. We just kinda went there on a whim. When we knocked on the door a kid about my age opened the door. He had some tats and stuff that freaked my comp out, but I thought he was a super cool guy. We were talking to him and he let us in. A few minutes later his mom and sister came home from softball practice. There was also another guy there who is 15. The daughter had a lot of questions about missionary stuff. As we kept going just out of nowhere the mom asked us if they could feed us and if we could start the lessons with her son so we could baptize him. It was awesome!! I am excited to go back there and start working with that family. BTW their last name is the Hicks. I don't think I said that. They moved here from Arizona I think.
Saturday was a long day. We pretty much tracted all day. All our plans fell through. On the plus side I wasn't really sick anymore! I was still a little bit, but for the most part it was finally over! So that is good. We got a couple return appointments so that is good. Hopefully they pan out.
Sunday the kids did the primary program. Everybody enjoyed that. That night for dinner we ate at bishop Bennett's house. His wife invited a non-member who has a son who came to church once or twice. We taught the first lesson and invited them to be baptized. It went really well. They seem to be excited. We are meeting with them again today (12) at the church. We can't meet at their house, the dad is an atheist and doesn't want us teaching in his home. Hopefully his family getting baptized will soften his heart.
Monday instead of basketball most of us played Texas Hold Em. We used spoons and salt and pepper packets we found in the kitchen at the church as chips. After that we took Elders Feist and Justice shopping with us. We went and bought me a jacket and nice RCVA hoodie/t-shirt thing that was marked way down at Tillys. Elder Hammond bought a micro-fiber pillow at Target. We thought it was on sale for 10 bucks because that is what the display said. It turns out it was wrong it was supposed to be 60 bucks, but they let him buy it for 10 anyways. He got super lucky.
Tuesday. The day is half gone. We had ddm (district meeting). Went to B-dubs after. (buffalo wild wings) I had never been before, I might have a new favorite! We will see, it was my first time there, it probably won't beat Chili's or the Road House in the long run. Elder Smith got the mango something wings that are almost the hottest. The Spanish Elders got them too, but they didn't even affect them. I thought Elder Smith was going to cry haha. About 20 minutes after he asked me if his face was back to normal yet. I about died laughing, I guess he could still feel it pretty good ha. Now we are about to leave for dinner. Elder Hammond just got an E-mail. His visa will be coming in this week. So he will leave for Australia hopefully at the end of the transfer and not in the middle. We will see though. Start sending my mail to the mission office for a little while. Sometime this week I am moving into a members home in my ward, so my address will be different. Also I just got a call from the office trying to decide which Elder Wood to send a letter to. It is from a Josh King. Do I know him? I called the other Elder Wood and he doesn't know who it is either! I honestly hope it is for me, I just feel bad I don't remember the name ha. I think it might be a friend from college, I just don't remember his last name. Well out of time, sorry to throw all of that at you in the last few sentences. got to go, Love Ya!

Elder Wood